Strawberry Sponge Layer Cake
It seemed like it was only yesterday that my son entered primary school and term 1 is about to finish next week. Much to my delight, he's surviving the first term with a good performance. To further encourage him to do good consistently, I thought of rewarding him with one of his favorite foods - Strawberry Cake. So upon reaching home the other day, I baked this sumptuous Strawberry Sponge Layer Cake. The taste is pretty straight and simple. The melding of sweet and sour notes makes an enjoybale combination.
What you need:
1 1/4 cup self rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup butter, softened
scant 1 cup superfine sugar
confectioner's sugar for dusting
1 small jar of smuckers strawberry jam
1 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
19 fresh strawberries, halved
How to make:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the butter, sugar and eggs.
2. Mix together, then beat until smooth.
3. Put the mixture into an 8-inch non-stick baking pan. Bake in the oven for 25-30 mins or until well risen and golden brown.
4. Let cool in the pan for 5 mins, then turn out. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Slice the cake into half horizontally. Join the cakes together with strawberry jam, whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
6. Dust with confectioner's sugar and serve.
note: I normally use non-stick baking pans for easy preparation. In a way it also lessen the use of butter ergo, less fat.