Blueberry Crumb Cake
It's the second time for me to make this cake. And as the usual cliche goes, "it's lovelier the second time around". True enough, this cake is now officially in my list of favorites. How could it not be? The recipe is from one of my favorite food celebrities no less than "the" Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa fame. I made some modifications of the recipe though to suit my own liking. What I particularly liked about this cake is it's very mild profile. It's not too rich neither overwhelming in sweetness. It got the right balance of taste. The crumb gave an enjoyable texture to the overall flavor.
For the Crumb or Streusel:
1/8 cup granulated sugar
scant 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup all purpose flour
For the Cake:
6 tbsp unsalted butter (3/4 stick), at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup fresh blueberries plus extra for topping
1 tbsp caster sugar
How to make:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Make the crumb or streusel. Combine the granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in melted butter and flour. Mix well and set aside.
3. Make the cake. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl of an electric mixer on high speed for 4 mins until fluffy and light.
4. Reduce the speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and sour cream.
5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and stir well.
6. Transfer the batter into an 8-inch non stick round baking pan. Spread it out nicely.
7. Crumble the topping evenly over the batter. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
8. Coat the extra fresh blueberries with 1 tbsp caster sugar. Put on top of the cooled cake then serve.