Vanilla Walnut Cake

My recipe bin for cakes is now seriously growing. It's such a joy for me to be baking again. When we relocated to Singapore from the Philippines, I had a difficult separation from my household wares and utensils. Believe it or not, foremost among them is my oven. So when I finally decided to replace it in our new home, it's like reuniting with a long lost friend. As soon as I'm all set for my old hobby, I began to acquire new cook books as well. But there are occasions where I still resort to the ever reliable internet in searching for interesting recipes. A couple of weeks ago, I was in search of a basic Vanilla Cake. I was looking for a recipe which I can use as a standard base and is neutral enough for varianting later on for topppings and fillings. My search led me to Martha Stewart's Versatile Vanilla Cake. Just exactly what I'm looking for. I tried the recipe and it's actually not bad at all. Even the whipped frosting is great. I just modified it a bit and made it into a Vanilla Walnut Cake.

What you need:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 cups chopped walnut

How to make:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in vanilla. Alternately beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
3. Place batter in a non-stick 10 inch pan; smooth the top. Bake until cake pull away from sides of pan, 32 to 35 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pan and invert cake onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
4. Slice the cake into two horizontally. Place one cake, bottom side up, on a cake stand. Using a spatula or table knife, spread top with Whipped Frosting. Top with remaining cake; frost top, then sides. Top with chopped walnuts.

Whipped Frosting:

What you need:
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

How to make:
1.In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar, salt, and water. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved (or mixture registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer), 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form (do not overbeat), about 3 minutes; reduce speed to low, add vanilla extract, and beat just until combined. Use immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Macaroni Salad with Cashew Nuts

Villa Gregoria Terrace Resort, Nagcarlan, Laguna

The myths and truths about INSTANT NOODLES… (Part 1 of 2)