Tuna Vegeroni Pasta (Presto Pasta Night # 72)


My Pasta story for this week started with my wandering in the kitchen. I exactly didn’t know what to prepare. I’m not craving for anything neither did my kids. I rummaged around the kitchen cabinets and drawers and found a can of tuna, Italian spaghetti sauce and vegeroni pasta spirals. Inside the refrigerator, there are carrots, cucumber and red bell pepper. I gathered all these things together on the kitchen table mulled for a while and voila! I’m cooking Tuna Vegeroni Pasta in a pan.

When I plated it, unfortunately, the pasta looked too orange-red for me that the colourful vegeroni pasta spirals were already well too hidden. Lesson learned? Vegeroni Pasta is better prepared with white sauce or practically anything but red sauce. The nice colour combinations of the pasta albeit well hidden, still provided that distinct veggie taste. Thus, I would rave about the taste more than the plating. Taste wise, there’s nothing sophisticated in here, it’s very straightforward. It’s a union of flavour notes of seafood and vegetables rounded by tomato taste with a slight sourish back note. On the whole, this is a healthy pasta dish.


What you need:

1/2 of 375 g pack vegeroni pasta spiral, 1/2 cup of pasta water, 1/2 cup carrots (cut into cubes), 1/2 cup of cucumber (cut into cubes), 1 small red bell pepper (seeds removed and cut into cubes), 1 white onion (chopped), 4 cloves garlic (minced), 1 small can tuna chunks or flakes (drained), 250 g italian spaghetti sauce, 2 tbsps olive oil, salt and pepper to taste


How to make:

Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside 1/2 cup of pasta water. Heat olive oil in a pan. Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant. Add tuna and continue sautéing for a minute. Add carrots, cucumber and red bell pepper. Mix well. Add the tomato sauce and pasta water. Season with salt and pepper. Boil and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta and blend well before serving.

For other mouthwatering pasta dishes, check out Ruth Daniels round up in Once Upon a Feast. Our pasta queen is hosting this week's event.

Comments

Ruth Daniels said…
It looks lovely and has me craving some right now.

I'm adding it to the roundup because it should be shared! Thanks for thinking of Presto Pasta Nights.
Sherra said…
Thanks Ruth! It's always feels good to have something to share.

Popular Posts