Steamed Tilapia Fillet on Sayote Tops Ensalada

Food minus and food plus are the talks in the Food Industry now. It's either you make the bad stuffs less or fortify the food with what is lacking and claim that the addition make the food healthier. That's basically the trend in food development today. In my kitchen, I think it's about time to take this direction too. Hence, it's only apt to have steamed fish and vegetable salad on our plates came family dinner time. I would like to share these recipes in particular to those who have started to prefer healthier food alternatives. Incidentally, the meal will also make a good entry for this week's Weekend Herb Blogging which is being hosted by Pam of Sidewalk Shoes.


Did it already occur to you why a seafood dish is best paired with vegetables and vice versa? Whenever we take any, we always long for its partner, right? Maybe it has something to do with the dish being light for the tummy that's why we like to have some more. On to the dish, Chayote Leaves (or Sayote Tops in Filipino), is one of the popular vegetables locally. What I particularly like about this vegetables is it's clean, neutral taste. I can barely taste the greeny note. It is leafy, yes, but very subtle in flavor. Thus, it really is perfect for an ensalada (spanish for salad). Similarly, among the locally farmed fishes in the Philippines, perhaps it is Tilapia that'll rank to the top in popularity. It can be cooked in a number of ways. But it is typically served fried in Filipinos' dining table. For now, I would like my family to savour nothing but clean taste (like clean labels in commercial products). Hence, steaming and tossing are our way of cooking; Steamed Tilapia Fillet on Sayote Tops Ensalada is our meal.
Steamed Tilapia Fillet:
What you need:
2 pcs tilapia fillet, 3 tbsps oyster sauce, 2 tbsps olive oil, 4 cloves garlic (minced), pepper to taste
How to make:
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Rub the mixture into the tilapia and wrap in aluminum foil.
3. Steam until flesh becomes white.
Sayote Tops Ensalada:
What you need:
1 bunch of sayote leaves (blanched), 3 pcs tomatoes (seeds removed and cubed), 1 small onion (chopped), 1/4 cup calamansi juice, 2 tbsps fish sauce
How to make:
1. Mix and toss all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Chill for a few minutes before serving.

Comments

Kalyn Denny said…
The salad is so colorful! I've never eaten chayote that I can recall, sounds tasty.
Sounds like a wonderful dish. I came here by way of WHB and am now wandering around your blog.

Never had sayote leaves before, so this piqued my interest.
Sherra said…
Thank you for coming over Kalyn and JS! :-) 'hope you could try the dish one of these days. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
HI! This looks like a nice recipe. Is there any substitute for Chayote leaves? Unfortunately there are none of those sold here in the US. I only tasted chayote leaves in Baguio and yes it is very delicious, esp with Bagoong na isda!
Sherra said…
Hello there! You can opt for any green vegetables that's mildly flavored the likes of kangkong, fern (pako) or camote tops. Happy Cooking! :-)
nuts said…
Hi.I think its my first time in your blog. I was actually googling steamed sayote and i landed in your site. I wanna try this recipe.
haven't tasted sayote tops ensalada yet.
Anonymous said…
Hi, can I used Salmon instead of tilapia? I have sayote tops :) very excited to make it for dinner!
Sherra said…
Hi, yes Salmon can be a good alternative too!

Popular Posts