MAMMA MIA, ( How can we resist you?)


It’s been such a long time since my husband and I were able to watch a movie together in big screen. Since the arrival of the kids, time seemed to be so out of the way for this much missed leisure pursuit. So when he invited me to see the film MAMMA MIA, I didn’t hesitate to give my nod. The first time I saw the movie trailer, I was already intrigued. It gave an impression of a happy, fun-filled, feel-good movie, just my kind of taste for a film. And gladly, it did not disappoint me at all.

The story started with a girl’s dream of meeting her long lost father to walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. To live this dream, she invited the three men from her mother’s past but only to find out in the end that neither of them can identify who her real father is. From there, the story will evolve into love being rekindled coupled with good laughs that maybe contagious at times, and a showcase of friendship that lasts a lifetime. All these were musically woven by no less than ABBA’s greatest hits. Had I not been aware that I was watching a film, I would have mistaken it into an ABBA’s music videos rolled into one. But honestly, it was fun and yes, enjoyable. It’s a musical film, and I must say that this is by far the best that I have watched in this particular genre. I practically grew up with ABBA’s songs. My aunts and uncles were all fans of them so much so that their music became poems and teenage lullabies to me. Seeing these timeless songs come to life, was real entertainment.
I can only care less on whether the film was really shot in Greece or not. The cinematography alone made me dream of a Greek Island getaway outright. On the actors, it's the cutest of Meryl Streep that I have seen. She's light and funny here. She's so unlike any of the previous movies she had made. This lady really stretched her acting abilities well too wide. With Pierce Brosnan, oh boy, this man certainly aged so well. There's a particular scene (when he's watching Meryl Streep sing together with her friends) where he exudes real charm and sexy appeal. I liked his shot there. However, I find him too stiff whenever he sings much more when he danced. Nonetheless, it's a new thing to watch from Pierce Brosnan. With the rest of the actors, they were all enjoyable to watch.

Overall, this movie promises you of a good time. Beyond that, it can also be inspiring and musically magical.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This movie opens in the theatre today. I would love to watch it too. The broadway version must have been great too, I wasnt able to watch it though so I'm looking forward to the big screen version esp with Meryl Streep in it.
Sherra said…
Hi Leah, 'hope you'll enjoy it as much as we did. Thanks for dropping by.

Popular Posts