Cereal Prawn - Home made Recipe

When we started exploring the local foods in Singapore, one of the dishes that caught my interest in as far as cooking it at home is Cereal Prawns. So when I found an instant mix in the supermarket that can be easily used, I immediately tried it. Unfortunately, I'm not 100% convinced on the results. Somehow, interesting flavor notes are missing. Upon further research online and by asking around, I've found a recipe that's quite easy to make. Although it still doesn't taste exactly the same as the usual Cereal Prawn version that you can find in hawker centers, I guess it's satisfying enough that it's now part of my menu from time to time. Because I have kids who will partake on this dish, I omitted the chili padi to make it not spicy. If you prefer otherwise, you may opt to add it when you sauted the curry leaves.


What you need:

8 pcs large tiger prawns, deveined
oil for frying
1 whole egg
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cup  instant cereals (Nestum Family Cereal)
2 tbsp extrafine sugar
1/2 cup milk powder
10 - 15 pcs curry leaves

How to make:
1. Coat the prawns with egg and all purpose flour. Heat the oil in a deep fryer.
2. Fry the prawns until it changes color.
3. In a separate wok, melt the butter. Saute curry leaves until fragrant.
4. Add in milk, sugar and cereal. Saute for 2 - 3 mins. Do not burn. Add in Fried prawns and mix well.

Comments

Popular Posts