The town started to paint red. It could only mean one thing - Chinese New Year (CNY) is just around the corner. Although we don't really celebrate this occasion (we're not Chinese), I like the happy and hopeful vibes this festivity brings in. One of the things that I look forward to in this time of the year is the abundance of CNY goodies and sweet treats. When I went to do my grocery shopping recently, the aisles of the supermarket is now filled with delightful pastries and sweets. Among my favorites are the Nonya Love Letters (Egg Roll), Lily Honey Cookies and Kuih Baulu in fancy cute fish shapes. All these make a good snacking options. My kids love them too.
Friday, December 30, 2011
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Once again, foods are overflowing in the last Christmas celebration. And to think that the festivity is not yet through (read : New Year and Chinese New Year celebrations are still to come), romancing our tastebuds is definitely far from over too. I'd like to share some pasta recipes that I've stirred up during our annual Christmas potluck and Christmas party events. One that's rich, creamy and cheesy and the other that's light and healthy. Since I've prepared this for a number of people, the serving size is big. You may adjust the amount of the ingredients depending on the number of people you will serve it to.
TRIO CHEESE CHICKEN PENNE
What you need:
1kg Penne Pasta cooked according to package directions, 2 cups pasta water reserve, 1 kg chicken breast fillet (cut into cubes), 1 large onion (chopped), 7 cloves garlic (finely chopped), 2 large glass bottles (600g) of traditional pasta sauce, 4 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of cut button mushrooms, dried italian herbs, salt & pepper, 3 packs of trio cheese - mozzarella, parmesan & cheddar, 4 tbsp olive oil
How to make:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions (until aldente). Reserve the 2 cups of pasta water, drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add in chicken and mushrooms and saute until chicken becomes tender.
3. Add in cream of mushroom soup and mix well. Add the pasta sauce and pasta water reserve. Allow to boil. Season with italian herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 mins.
4. Stir in cooked pasta into the sauce. Mix well.
5. Layer the chesse and pasta in a serving dish alternately putting the pasta first. Finish with generous servings of cheese on top.
6. Put in the oven and allow the cheese to melt.
TUNA LINGUINE with CAPERS
What you need:
500 g Linguine pasta, 4 cans of tuna chunks in olive oil, 4 cans of 225g whole peeled tomatoes, 4 tbsps capers, 1 large onion (chopped), 5 cloves garlic (finely chopped), italian herbs, salt & pepper, 1 can of cut button mushrooms, 3 tbsps olive oil, parmesan cheese
How to make:
1. Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic until fragrant. Add in the tuna chunks, capers and mushrooms. Saute for 3- 4 mins.
3. Add in whole peeled tomatoes and allow to boil. Simmer for 15 - 20 mins until the sauce is reduced to a slightly thicker consistency. Season with italian herbs, salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the cooked linguine and mix well. Serve topped with parmesan cheese.